Occupational categories are based on your educational qualifications.
Engineers Australia recognises three occupational categories within the engineering team in Australia:
- Professional Engineer
- Engineering Technologist
- Engineering Associate
Professional Engineers hold an Engineers Australia accredited or recognised four-year professional engineering degree.
As a Professional Engineer, you:
- Focus on overall systems
- Develop and apply new engineering practices
- Apply leadership & management skills
- Pursue engineering opportunities in an holistic way, taking environmental, community & social issues into account
- Solve diverse problems.
The academic qualification is an Engineers Australian accredited or recognised three year engineering technology degree.
As an Engineering Technologist, you:
- Focus on interactions within the system
- Modify and adapt established engineering practices
- Advance engineering technology.
The academic qualification is a Engineers Australia recognised two year advanced diploma or associate degree of engineering.
As an Engineering Associate, you:
- Focus on specific elements of the system
- Work within codes and applies established practices and procedures.